FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter trip to Norway and Iceland
View Single Post
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:37 pm
MD/DC Flyer

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Iceland

The rest of the week was consumed by traveling around Iceland and taking pictures. For whatever reason I did not liked Iceland as much as I liked Norway. It might the changing of hotel (not of my choosing) every night, it might be the fact that even in the middle of the week the place was packed with tourists, or it might be the senseless acts of human stupidity that one encounter (a Chinese tourist who never have seen snow in his life, barely speak English, but thought it would be a great idea to drive in the middle of a snow storm and take on a snow plow – the plow won), or human tragedy (another Chinese tourist completely underestimating the power of the ocean been sweep to his death in front of his family, just minutes after we have left the location), but it was less than what I imagined to be.

Compound that with a very bad weather – when they close the Ring road because the snow plow had gone off the road, you know it is bad – which necessitate emergency accommodation for the night, as our hotel was completely not reachable, and Iceland left a lot to be desired.

I will leave you with some random hotel reviews from the stay throughout Iceland, as well as some more pictures from Iceland, including what probably was the highlight of the trip, some pictures from Ice Cave.

Hotel Katla - Vik
The hotel is located close to the municipality of Vik and quite accessible for the sights around the area. That said, like most hotels in Iceland there is really nothing much around it.

The hotel is comprised of set of building which means that if you want to get to the reception you have to go outside and battle the sheet of ice on the sidewalk. We had dinner at the hotel which was adequate – nothing really to get excited about, but good and nourishing. Breakfast was as well sufficient, with all the supple one would like to start the day.

The rooms themselves were extremely basic. The double room is actually two bunk beds that really cannot be put together and are narrow. The bathroom is small and basic, and it was my introduction to the favorite way Icelandic like to take a shower – with a sheet of plastic serving as curtain stuck to themselves. The bath room was just way too small for purpose. It felt very much like the fishing cabins I spent the previous week in Norway.

The rooms are tired and in dire need for a face lift. That said, there was a functioning TV with BBC on, WiFi was strong and fast, and the room was warm. Sound proofing of course is completely another issue as it does not exist especially if you are in a corner room that has two wall to the outside.

For one night it would do, but I would not like to use the hotel as my home away from home for any longer than that.

Hotel Laki
The hotel was an emergency back-up plan for out group. As the Ring road was closed and we could not get to where we were supposed to be, we had to back track for 2 hours to get to the hotel which luckily had some rooms for the night. Although it meant that we had to share rooms.

We arrived after dark and left in early in the morning so the information about the surrounding is limited. That said the hotel is of a good caliber and despite the awkward marching through the dining room to get to the room in the other side of the hotel provided a good place for the night.

The rooms were comfortable and the shower (real one this time!) was big, with plenty of warm water and space. WiFi was fast, although the reception was spotty in some parts of the room.

Breakfast was somewhat limited for the caliber of the hotel and similar ones in the area, but still good and nourishing – despite the very strange sitting arrangements (each table is pre-assigned to a room).

All in all, it was more than adequate plan B.

Seljavellir Guesthouse
Our hotel in Hofn was a very interesting one. The concept of only outside access for the rooms must work wonderfully in the summer, but in the winter when there is a sheet of ice, and a mound of snow blocking your entrance and making any venture outside truly dangerous it does not work too well.

From the outside the hotel looks like a long barn, but the rooms themselves are big, with a big bathroom. The decor is minimalist industrial and somehow it works even if you are in the middle of the Icelandic nature. It was sure one of the best put together hotels design wise (of the inside of the rooms) on this trip.

Breakfast was the low point of the stay. Although the quality was very good the verity was very limited – though considering there are less than 20 rooms in the establishment it is not surprising.

The most surprising feature of the room was the TV with every British channel you can imagine. The WiFi was also good, fast and strong.

All in all, one of the few hotels in this trip I would happy return to.

Fosshotel Nupar
One of the establishments I would recommend to avoid. The hotel is located in the middle of the Icelandic countryside with nothing around it but the country side of course.

While the rooms are larger than most they are extremely basic. The same low quality of the bedding that is seen throughout the entire Fosshotel family is present here. The same concept of plastic cover for the shower is here as well. At least the bathroom size is decent enough so you will not make everything is sight wet.

There a dual door to the outside, though staying in the middle of the winter it just opens to the sheet of ice outside. The parking lot is also not treated so be very careful when walking.

The major problem with the hotel is that WiFi does not work in the rooms, only in the lobby. And then everyone tries to connect at the same time and the speed goes down to zero. Compound it with no TV in the rooms, and you’ll get a recipe for a very long, dark and boring evening. It seems that the hotel is well versed with the fact that the WiFi does not work yet does not seems to care enough to fix it.

The dinner was edible. Nothing to write home about, but warm cocked meal with several protein options. None were bad, but then again none were good. Breakfast buffet was decent yet basic. The usual cold and warm selection, though much smaller in the options and selections I’ve seen elsewhere.

Fosshotel Lind
The hotel is well located close to a central bus station and the “touristy” part of Reykjavik. Of course, the inability of the Icelandic capital to clear the ice away from the sidewalk might impact the ability to walk around the hotel.

The room itself was basic. As it seems with several Fosshotel we had stayed in during our stay in Iceland, it is a very basic establishment. The quality of the sheets and towels are low; although this is the first time I’ve gotten so many towels without the need to request more. Of course, once you see the shower you’ll understand why you need so many towels. As seems to be the norm in the chain the shower is separated from the rest of the bathroom (which is tiny) by a floating plastic curtain. Because of the size of the shower is so small you are guaranteed both a very close encounter with the curtain as well as flooding the entire room (and hence the need for so many towels).

While WiFi was good, the TV did not offer much channels. The bed were too soft as well as the pillows (seems to be a constant in Scandinavia, one cannot find a firm pillow).

Breakfast buffet was decent yet basic. The usual cold and warm selection, though with minimal selections of bread and cheeses. I’ve seen better, I’ve seen worse – in short nothing to get excited about, but good for the purpose.

Asking for one hour delay in check-out was denied. So I spent it sitting in the lobby watching people checking in early (way early) to their rooms. So early check in is available while let check out (to 1PM let’s remember) is not. Hmmmm. Something is very wrong with that picture. So fail on customer service on that front.