FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:12 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
58. Only one airline offered a flight into Belfast, Northern Ireland aboard a 727-200. What airline was it?

This one has me musing. I know that JAT did summer holiday flights from there to Yugoslavia with them for many years, but these were not in the OAG, likewise Dan-Air's holiday flights on the type. I'll have a complete guess at Iberia, to Barcelona.

Given the OAG as our reference, we are indeed looking only for scheduled flights. Again, the flight in question was the only scheduled 727-200 into BFS. It was a short flight, too (1515 - 1630) with no change of time zone...

If you read Alex Frater's book "Beyond the Blue Horizon", his stop-everywhere journey from the UK to Australia in 1984, he travelled from Rome to Athens on a TWA 727, which was to connect with the incoming 747 from JFK, but which was so late that day that the 727 was sent off to time with just four passengers, originating from Rome, on board.

It is tempting to revisit the old 1939 schedule between Southampton and Sydney viv-a-vis the flights reflected in my 1987 OAG. Someday... A quick check shows no more service between Southampton and France. That's unfortunate as that Cambrian Airways Viscount was a great way to get this trip started.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 25, 2016 at 12:37 pm