FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 16, 12:15 pm
jlemon

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
WN to Cuba?

I had jokingly commented in a recent post that airfares between the U.S. and Cuba might become more affordable due to a possible "Southwest Effect", i.e. WN initiating new service to Cuba. Pure speculation on my part, of course, with no basis in fact at the time.

Well, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly has now stated that WN may begin service to Cuba this year via comments he recently made to the Dallas Morning News. The article also stated that any possible new international service could not be flown by Southwest (or by any carrier, for that matter) from Dallas Love Field as such scheduled international passenger flights from DAL are apparently prohibited (score one, perhaps, for AA). However, Houston Hobby Airport was mentioned. And, of course, HOU does have a bright and shiny new international terminal which I believe was recently constructed by Southwest (much to the apparent dismay of UA).

Stay tuned, amigos......