FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 16, 3:03 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
time for me to go out and enjoy Brisbane! I'll check back from the Emirates Lounge later this evening.
Brisbane is where our Australian office is; I've always found it a very pleasant place, of course there's a lot of Old Britain that I recognise, although the smaller cars which were notably British ones seem to have finally disappeared from the roads. Australia always built large cars, but until the 1970s it seems the usual smaller ones were Morris, MG, etc, imported from Britain. And in that non-corrosion climate cars seem to last way longer than back home.

If you get time when at the airport, walk across through the car park (or get the incoming taxi to drop you off first) at the Southern Cross, a little museum which contains the first aircraft to fly the Pacific from the USA to Australia, an event which started off many of the things we write about here. There's also displays about other pioneer Australian airline operation. The Southern Cross is a Fokker F7b/3m, which was flown by Charles Kingsford Smith, universally known in Australia as "Smithy", who also did pioneer trips from Australia to Britain. Fokker had a US factory at Passaic NJ, where I believe it was built. I always go over and have a look at it when I've time to spare at Brisbane airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_(aircraft)

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 19, 16 at 4:26 pm