FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:04 am
Longboater

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Significant Update in Haneda slots.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/japan-...-idUKL3N15X3TP

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...101819328.html

Big big news for Haneda slots. The agreement is now a done deal, sorry DL, for daytime slots for HND. The four current slots will become daytime and there will be one new daytime flight allocated and one nighttime flight allocated. (Who would want to operate this flight besides HAL's proposed KOA-HND?) The new slots will become available at the end of October, per the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism. I expect a big fight over the one new daytime slot and I'd say UA is the favourite due to DL/AA's troubles at HND and UA's record of operating SFO-HND consistently since they were awarded the route.

The previous post mentioned AA would be interested in adding an east coast slot. Perhaps the return of JFK-HND on AA metal if approved? AA's initial press release only indicated they were pleased with operating LAX-HND during the daytime this fall. Could we see an equipment change on this route? Big picture, what is AA's future in Japan, especially if they are approved for a second HND flight? Does AA really need all that capacity on DFW-NRT, especially with the additions of DFW-ICN/PEK/PVG-HKG all within the last three years? Maybe JAL switches DFW-NRT to DFW-HND? I remember when it was announced that AA was going to order the 77W, NRT, along with HKG/LHR/GRU, were mentioned as destinations. Especially with one daytime HND flight, I find it hard to imagine that AA will end F class to Tokyo. Even with the weakened Yen, the currency has roughly stabilised for the past several months.

Last edited by Longboater; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:27 am Reason: Updated information