FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask us about visiting Phuket, Thailand
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:48 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by invisible
So if one arrives at Krabi, where would you recommend to go and stay? If I rent a car would it be too much trouble to drive in and out from Krabi airport to north of Phuket?
Much of that is personal preference. If you want to experience the islands and beaches around the area, then Ao Nang is a good starting point. Just don't expect much out of Ao Nang itself. Aside from the small section of tourist based bars in the core in a 1 block zone, the town basically goes to bed after 10pm. And that's not a bad thing because there is lots to do during the day.

Obviously a longboat ride out to Railay Beach is a must see. (Just don't pick a day with choppy seas as the long tail boats are not overly fun in those conditions.) You can also hire a boat to take you to a number of islands. We did that one day. Just a word of warning, don't forget the sunblock. I didn't use enough and was burnt after only 30 minutes in the sun - that's how powerful it is. On Phuket there is always a bit of haze or cloud cover or some shade most days. On Krabi if out on the water or on the islands, it's an oven with searing solar rays.

I'm not much of a meat eater, but I had one of the best steaks I have ever had in Thailand at the Carnivore steak house. The Dutch owner really did a good job and his beer selection was amazing. He carried an extensive range of beers that I have yet to see anywhere else, and I suppose the large number of Nordic country tourists in Krabi support the inventory.

The best part about Krabi is that the local authority banned the jetski and sun bed thugs and it has resulted in a relatively stress free environment.

The drive isn't so bad. It's mostly maintained highway. On a good day it is about 2 1/2 hours to go from Ao Nang vicinity to Phuket. The delays are when you hit traffic on Phuket after the bridge and it can add an hour+ just to crawl from HKT down the sunshine coast to Kamala/Patong/Karon. There can also be delays at the security checkpoints when crossing into Phuket. However, if you are staying in the north of Phuket, you will avoid much of the traffic and stress. The Northern part of the island is fine and caters to a different type of market (more upscale) than what one finds in Kamala/Patong/Karon/Kata/Rawai.