FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 16, 6:33 pm
jlemon

Programs: No longer lowly AA Gold, lots of AA, AS & DL miles & BA Avios, some UA miles, former CO Plat
Originally Posted by Seat 2A View Post
Right on, JL! I can't find any information on Biak as a tourism destination worthy of service with an aircraft the size of a DC-10. Was it a question of range and/or prevailing winds? I thought the -30s had the range for a Jakarta to Honolulu nonstop but given Biak's geographical location in eastern Indonesia, a fuel stop makes sense.

Biak Airport is slated to receive a 14000+ foot runway soon.
I am not sure why Biak (BIK) would warrant nonstop service to Honolulu and one stop service to Los Angeles. Perhaps it was a technical stop....but, again, I do not really know.

Interesting to note that Biak had four flights a week from LAX via HNL in November of 1993, two operated with a B747 Combi (74M) and two flown with the DC-10-30 (D10). The D10 flights continued on to Jakarta nonstop while the 74M flights made an intermediate stop at Denpasar (DPS) before also terminating at Jakarta.

Other than that, Garuda (GA) operated a four flights a week with B737-300 equipment from Biak to a couple of destinations in Indonesia while local air carrier Merpati Nusantara (MZ) operated a number of domestic flights with Douglas DC9-10, Fokker F27, Fokker F28 and de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft. So, for example, if one wished to fly nonstop from Biak to Fak-Fak, Indonesia, it was a mere one hour and 45 minute flight three days a week in a Twin Otter. And BTW, Fak-Fak has an interesting three letter OAG airport code: FKQ