FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honors Discount Launches at 4,500 Properties Worldwide
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:03 pm
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by smmrfld
This is an epic fail by Hilton. Companies need to realize that pricing games are not only easily exposed by customers today, but also widely ridiculed via sites such as FT. As a very frequent Hilton customer, I find the numerous examples cited above to be extremely troubling. The fact that the discount applies to all HH members should have been a tip-off. Quite frankly, this thread invites more ridicule than anything and certainly doesn't reflect well on Hilton.
Seems to me this program isn't designed to benefit someone like you. I see it as an attempt to get more occasional travelers to join HHonors. Once they join, they might be more inclined to stay at Hilton-branded hotels in the future.

It also sounds like a smart way to incentivize people to book direct and not at sites like Orbitz or Expedia. Booking via Hilton is about as easy as with an online travel agency. Even if it's just $3/night, many people will choose Hilton.

From that perspective, it's not "an epic fail". It's actually a wise business decision.