FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Warning for pregnant women and travel to areas with Zika virus (2016)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:08 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some evidence suggests Zika virus can also be transmitted to humans through blood transfusion, perinatal transmission and sexual transmission. However, these modes are very rare. (WHO)
Note that recent information from Texas reports a woman who did. She apparently was infected with Zika through her male partner's semen. Preliminary evidence indicates active Zika virus can be transmitted through sexual activity, and I'd imagine only barrier methods of protection will be useful in such a case. I've never heard of any spermicide such as nonoxynol-9 reported as clinically effective against a virus, though when used in addition to a condom it might be effective.

Zika virus is believed to require between two and seven days to incubate. Beyond that many are asymptomatic. Others may experience

Zika virus infection is characterized by low grade fever (less than 38.5°C / 101 F) frequently accompanied by a maculopapular rash. Other common symptoms include muscle pain, joint pain with possible swelling (notably of the small joints of the hands and feet), headache, pain behind the eyes and conjunctivitis. As symptoms are often mild, infection may go unrecognized or be misdiagnosed as dengue.

A high rate of asymptomatic infection with Zika virus is expected, similar to other flaviviruses, such as dengue virus and West Nile virus. Most people fully recover without severe complications, and hospitalization rates are low. To date, there have been no reported deaths associated with Zika virus.
Zika is assumed to take its course, once incubated, in a week or so. It may be women of childbearing age or who are pregnant may wish to discuss this issue with their knowledgeable physician or health practitioner, with considerations ranging from postponing sexual relations with men who have traveled recently in Zika infected areas or use barrier contraceptives with spermaticidal assistance; men have traveled in Zika virus should be aware of these issues as well, particularly if may be contemplating sexual relations with women of childbearing age or who may be pregnant .

(And I'd avoid donating blood for some time - it may be blood bank donor services cover this already, but I'd ask - I don't donate because I frequently travel, to malarious areas - five year exclusion - as well as areas where yellow fever, dengue, Chikungunya etc. are common.)

As well, airlines are updating their policies regarding Zika virus, for passengers and for employees. The policies seem quite variable, so I'd recommend contacting the airline one is ticketed or going to be ticketed on.

I'm posting this in the Women Travelers forum because Zika is not considered dangerous for adults - nobody has ever died of it, for example - and symptoms are usually mild at worst. But women of childbearing age and become pregnant or who are pregnant and become infected with Zika are at risk of giving birth to children with anomalous brain development including microcephaly.

And nothing here is intended or to be taken as medical advice; please discuss this further with your health practitioner.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2016 at 2:25 pm