View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 16, 8:25 am
zitsky

Originally Posted by wendyg View Post
I grew up in a time when girls had to wear skirts to school and people dressed up to go to the theater, out to dinner, or even, in my mother's case to go into "the city" (ie, Manhattan). When I was 10 or 11, it occurred to me that people who live in Manhattan probably didn't dress up just to be there, and since I was sitting next to a kid who lived there, I asked her. No, she said, of course not. That's when I began to jettison the notion of dressing up to go places. By the time I was 16 I was going to the theater and nice restaurants in jeans, like many others around me. My attitude now, so many years later, is that a place that imposes a dress code is not somewhere I want to spend my time. It strikes me as anti-democratic.

I would far rather the people around me on a plane - especially in economy, where you're squashed so closely together - were comfortable and relaxed than trying to impress other people with how they look. They're likely to be much pleasanter that way.

wg
Some of us like the way we look in formal clothes. I bought some custom suits in grad school a few years ago. I rarely use them because now, everyone has gone casual and I rarely see people in suits.

I don't mind so much seeing casual clothes, but I don't want to see someone's thong or butt crack.

You don't have to be rich to dress nicely. Almost anyone can afford a nice pair of slacks and a dress shirt.