FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:28 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
23. Boeing’s new 747 has been in service for less than a year. As we enter the high season for Caribbean tourism, there are three destinations that are scheduled to receive nonstop 747 service from New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport. Identify each of these destinations and the airline that will be serving them with the 747.
HINT: Each of the three destinations were administered by different governments.
HINT: One airline was U.S. based, one was foreign.

I'm kinda surprised that NOBODY even took a run at this, so here goes:

San Juan (SJU) - Eastern
Correct destination, wrong airline
Santo Domingo (SDQ) - American Incorrect
Fort de France (FDF) - Air France Incorrect! It was Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe (PTP)

As you know, Eastern leased its first 747s from Pan Am (its original order of four went to TWA as -131s), with the first being accepted on November 26, 1970 - later than the OAG from which I sourced these questions. American did operate its 747 to Santo Domingo but not early on. Indeed, SDQ was not one of the early 747 destinations.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
The airports are pretty obvious, but the equipment isn't. It is likely that various equipment showed up on the routes in over the late 1970s, but I take a stab at:

MSP DC-10
ORD DC-10
JFK 747

They also, for a time in the late 1970s, operated ANC-SEA. Likely with DC-10s & 727s.

Hmmmmmm ... credit where it's due ... Indelaware actually got the cities right a while back

Apologies to Indelaware. He did get ORD and JFK correct. I reckon my standards for correct answers are a bit higher early on. Once we're at a point where I'm looking to close out questions and/or have put out 1-2 obvious clues, I tend to be a lot more forgiving.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 14, 2016 at 9:51 am