FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:53 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
30. All of the airlines in the two groups listed below operated widebodied jets. What’s the difference between the airlines in group one as opposed to the airlines in group two?
Group 1: American, Continental, Eastern, United, TWA
Group 2: Delta, National, Northwest, Pan Am, Western
HINT: Think about the cabin configuration of each airline.

Ah, this may concern that wonderful but brief era on several airlines which featured.....the coach lounge.

I believe several of the Group 1 carriers had coach lounges on their aircraft. American certainly did on the B747-100 as I experienced this lounge in 1971 on a nonstop from SFO to ORD (my first 747 flight as some of you may recall). I seem to remember the AA 747 coach lounge even featured an electric piano (was it a Wurlitzer?). And I think Continental also had a coach lounge on their DC-10 aircraft.

So perhaps Eastern, United and TWA had coach lounges as well while DL, NA, NW, PA and WA did not.

Correct! I had the good fortune to enjoy the Coach lounges aboard a bevy of DC-10s from United and Continental during the early 1970s and - in Continental's case - into the early 90s. Unfortunately all of the other airlines had removed their lounges by the time I finally flew upon their respective aircraft, though I did manage luncheon while sat around the table with three fellow attendees of the American Airlines Academy at DFW while flying to Chicago in First Class aboard an American DC-10 in 1982.

But hey, I think Western did have a volcano on some of their DC-10 flights to Hawaii......

Indeed they did. That Islander Punch was a great way to get into the spirit of the islands

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2016 at 2:46 pm