FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:04 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
33. I was in a thrift shop the other day and I came across a DVD of this old 1970s era action flick - Whiteline Fever - starring Jan-Michael Vincent and Kay Lenz. The price was right – only $2.00 – and as an added bonus, Slim Pickens was in it. Well that settled it then! Never one to fritter away my life watching Merchant Ivory films in perpetuity, I bought the DVD and tossed it on my stack of movies to watch someday. That day came a couple nights ago. Imagine then my surprise and delight as in the opening scenes the camera panned across an airport tarmac showing a distinctive control tower with the airport’s location emblazoned down its side in large letters. As the scene unfolded further, a beautiful four engine jetliner approached from afar. The camera caught it nicely as it glided over the threshold, landed and then taxied up to the non-jetway equipped gate. Any of y’all seen this movie? Any thoughts on the airport and the airplane featured?
HINT: I consider the tower with the city's name emblazoned down the side to be a big hint. These letters were not painted but rather were lights. When turned on at night, they were pale blue. This airport also had one international flight per day at the time... It's in the western half of the U.S. The aircraft wore a recently designed Saul Bass livery.

In 1970 "a recently designed Saul Bass logo" has to be Continental, and since I don't think their 720Bs were still around at that time, the jet has to be a 747

"one international flight" and "in the western part of the US" point to Stapleton Intl in Denver, if we're looking for a CO 747 destination

A brave start, J, but I'm thinking you may not have flown into Denver's Stapleton very often. It was my hometown airport through much of the 60s and 70s and the tower definitely doesn't have DENVER written down the side in large blue letters that light up at night.

Also, keep in mind the movie was made in the 1970s - I don't know the exact year. Wait! I just checked on imdb and it came out in 1975 which means it was probably filmed in 1974. I don't believe the airport in question has ever had scheduled 747 service however, and - here's another hint - the international flight that I'm aware of operated only a fairly short distance to its initial destination over the border before continuing on.

Please - guess again!

P.S. Continental didn't retire its 720Bs until 1974.
And now if you'll excuse me I'm off to prepare a killer chicken, brown rice, black beans, corn, cilantro, onions, freshly chopped jalapeños and cheese burrito, to be enjoyed with a can or two od Dale's Pale Ale from Longmont, Colorado. Hasta Mañana!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:29 pm