FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:39 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sikorloa
To avoid resetting 18 month clock on closing my AAdvantage Platinum, I can just downgrade to the AAdvantage Bronze, right? Didn't see that in the wiki.

So for example I got the AAdvantage Platinum in June 2015, if I downgrade it this May 2016 to Bronze, I'll still be able to get the bonus again for the AAdvantage Platinum in January 2017 (18 months after 1st Platinum opened), correct?
Wrong. Incorrect.

We don't have enough datapoints to know for sure, but a downgrade is a close of one card and an opening of another card, and Citi says your 18-month clock is reset by a close of a Citi AA Plat card.

The reason we don't have it in the wiki is because we're not certain. But if you're not looking for high risk, you may not want to become our guinea pig. (We need guinea pigs who are not scared of resetting the 18 month clock to try experiments with downgrades and then applying for new cards.)

But first, does your current card presently say just "World" above the MC logo or "World Elite"? This is very important to know! If it says "World Elite", you can just plain cancel it (and what I said above doesn't apply in that case). If it just says "World", though, everything I just said above applies.