FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Western USA road trip - advice please!
View Single Post
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:44 pm
The_Bouncer
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Thanks for your advice guys. It definitely sounds like Tijuana is off my list. It does not sound like my kind of place at all. I think Mexico can wait for another trip. The National Parks and scenic places are the main point of the trip, as well as some time in San Francisco, so I am now seriously considering skipping anything south of LA, in favour of spending more time on my must-see list. Thanks for the point about the Thanksgiving holiday. I hadn't thought of that and I'm going to have to carefully consider where I'm gping to be at that time. As regards winter conditions at altitude, does this lead to many road closures? And should I consider the type of vehicle I rent? I am an experienced driver and have driven in 20 or so countries in all types of terrain, so I don't mind challenging conditions, but I'm not really planning on doing any off-roading on this trip. Thanks also for the tips on car rentals. It would be great if I could manage to pick up a repositioning deal. I have done many one-way rentals in the past but never in the right place at the right time.