FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread (2016 and Onward)
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:30 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread (2016 and Onward)

I am flying OGG-HNL. We plan to goto mama's fish house for lunch. They open at 11am. Then I will part ways with them. There is a 2:10 deparature that gets me to HNL at 2:47pm. Even if we take an 90min for lunch, its maybe 20min to drop me at the airport getting me there an hour before my flight. I have TSA pre so I would think this would not be too big of a rush. Their flight is at 3 and the next HA flight is 3:55 getting me in at 4:25pm.

About 2yrs ago, I arrived in HNL at 4:13pm and had a flight out on UA at 8:15. I had enough time to walk over to UA, check my bag, take the bus to "Nico's Pier 38", eat a quick dinner, take the bus back, then go through TSA-pre security and get to my gate with plenty of time to spare.

This time, the UA flight is at 8:25 and my upgrade has not cleared yet so I have an even bigger need for dinner. If I take the later flight option, I should be able to just goto Nico's again. My question is if I take the earlier flight, arrive at 2:47, will it buy me anything? Would the extra 98min give me enough extra time to go somewhere better (even by taxi (or car rental) instead of bus). Thats a 5:38 layover vs 4hr

Last edited by eng3; Feb 4, 2016 at 4:43 pm