FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long trips (4 weeks +) with family / kids
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:57 pm
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
We've done a month in Europe with 5 total. Also gone back for a couple of other trips in the 2-week range with 4 or 5 total. We did a mix of Booking.com and standard hotel awards. The challenge is that in some cities, most hotels are max-2-per-room for legitimate fire code reasons (e.g., tiny rooms - you wouldn't want 3 in them). So a little 2-bedroom flat ends up being a lot more enjoyable. Booking.com is a good spot for these - probably better than VRBO.com in some cities. (We chose not to get into the AirBnB thing, although that may be an option for some.)

We always rent a car. Our trips often involve smaller towns, visiting friends in different countries, etc. I always do the due diligence and look to see if trains, cheap flights, etc. would reduce the need for a car, but it rarely does. Obviously if we were just going city-to-city, the hassle of parking and driving might not be worth it.

We almost always redeem Y seats. J seats for kids seems like a waste, and finding 5 together in the summer is going to be a tough task anyway. A few years ago, we got all of our seats together on EI, a decent airline if you don't hold any relevant elite statuses. The last couple trips we've gotten 4-5 together on AA via secondary cities. Even in the summer, when MAD, CDG, etc. are booked solid and LHR has lots of junk fees, look at the German cities with an AB connection. Last year, with only a few weeks' advance planning, we saw some options here and ended up on an ORD-DUS flight that wasn't 100% full. All awards, all ended up in MCE.

The lesson we learned over time is to *not* move from city to city as much as we did traveling without kids. The act of travel has high overhead, even just loading/unloading a van, so we learned that 5 people trying to hit a new town every day was a little too much. If you know you *have* to do some rapid-fire travel for whatever reason, follow it with a few days in one place that you know the kids will enjoy.
I did not know about booking.com having flats! I like this option. We ALWAYS get either a flat or 2 hotel rooms. Long gone are the days of cramming babies/toddlers into 1 room with 2 doubles. We have even taken a twin air mattress with built in foot pump so that (even with 2 rooms or flat) no one has to sleep in the same bed. I've got big teenage sons! We also always leave the mattress (it's like $20 on amazon) when we know we won't need it any more. But it does give us a bit more flexibility (and sanity).

I agree with you about car rental, too. Many folks on tripadvisor push trains in Europe and can't understand why I'd want a car. With kids, I find the car absolutely essentially. Leave snacks and toys in there, stop when you want, etc. And it's always been cheaper than 5x train tickets. We like driving, anyway.

I've debated this issue with J vs Y for kids. We've managed to find the J we needed (x5) a couple of times (and always find Y), but I always book WAY in advance (10 months). It kills me to spend the miles for my littlest (he's 7 and just doesn't value the champagne and caviar the way I do!). But on super long hauls, I want to sit in J. And I don't feel right putting the kids back in Y (I'd feel ok about putting the teens back there but they'd whine that the 7 year old got J...blah blah blah). Mind you, I wouldn't abandon a trip just b/c I couldn't find J, but I'd probably do a split 3x2 and stick spouse and a kid in Y (and trade for another segment).

I've been wanting to try EI. They have excellent fares BOS-DUB and that flight isn't long, either. I'll give them a look soon. We are 6 Y to GLA this summer (my dad is coming along). I booked via DL on VS. Had to pay steep fees but I wanted to burn the DL miles. It's a nonstop GLA-MCO and we'll arrive 11 PM our time, so didn't seem worth the J.

I don't know if this thread will be useful for others, but already I feel like I'm getting and sharing tips. Thanks!