FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX cancel even more F cabins
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:00 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Respectfully to the OP, CX has not really played roulette with SYD and JNB in F. SYD hasn't has F for ~8 years! And they telegraphed the JNB downgrade. Using your argument, you could say the same for YYZ, AMS and FCO completely, once daily to SFO, YVR, and LAX, etc. The introduction of CX's flat beds in J, 747 retirement and dual fleet type for 77W (77H 4 class, 77G 3 class no F) means they've taken F off routes where it yields less. Sucks but the J bed is quite good, and CX can get killer yields to certain places - like JFK - that justify flying 4x F-equipped planes there daily. Yet others (ZRH and BOS as rumored) have such horrible F yields it seems inevitable the product will be pulled at some point. It isn't our right as customers to force the airlines to sell us unprofitable or unattractively (at least, on a relative yield basis) priced F tickets as part of AONE itineraries when they can upyield that route with a different config without F. Likewise, I guess you might be forced to buy EK if you want to keep F on all destinations.

The second part of your argument I'm very sympathetic to. CX plays roulette with regional F and seems not to care one bit if they change or swap it out, often at the last minute and with little notice. I suspect the vast majority of these passengers are partner redmptions, and the next cohort is probably AONE pax. Quite unfortunate. But CX is doing the cruel math that partner redeemers will still keep coming back, since the longhaul segment is what they care about. And unlike perhaps your insinuation, CX does not play roulette on the long haul routes. Yes, they've taken down F from a number of historical routes. But J has improved markedly and that's just life. The longhaul equipment serving each route is transparent. Unlike the equipment serving short haul, which is unfortunate.

I guess my point is, it seems you have two unrelated complaints. One is just the general reduction of F class service across the fleet. I don't agree with your points, even though I agree in an ideal world CX would fly F everywhere longhaul and we could score AONE tickets anywhere I wanted to go...but not realistic. Perhaps for that reason EK isn't in an alliance. (They do have reasonably priced F fares ex-HKG, fwiw). The second argument is that CX playd roulette with F on regional routes, which is incredibly annoying especially if youre a cash pax...those are people who lose the most. I totally sympathize.

Last edited by QRC3288; Jan 29, 2016 at 9:06 pm