FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:27 am
scoobybpc

Originally Posted by JDavis625
For what it's worth, I submitted a claim today for an IC property which was denied because I booked with breakfast (even though the competing website offered the same room with breakfast cheaper) instead of the lowest, base rate (without breakfast).

So maybe they're eliminating breakfast packages from qualifying under their new BPG 2.0 interpretation of the rules?
It seems to be even worse than that. I've tried to submit a valid claim 3 times now, each time I booked with the best flexible rate. And each time they said:

"A lower room rate was found offered on the IHG website for the same room type booked based on the details found for the reservation on your claim. The Terms and Conditions require that the claim be for “a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate)” on the IHG website. The lower room rate was found for the same reservation details including, but not limited to: room type, check-in date, number of guests, number of nights.

Lower Rate Details: Book Early & Save - Advance Purchase"

Keep in mind, i did not book any special packages or even include breakfast, this is simply the best flexible rate, the lowest rate available with free cancellation.
I rarely ever reply to the BPG email's because I find arguing with them useless, but after my 3rd attempt and getting the same comment regarding booking the lowest rate, i decided to reply.
I stated that although the advance rate is lower, it is non-refundable and therefore does not match the terms of the price im claiming on the competing site. and to please revisit my claim and note that I booked the best flexible rate with free cancellation.

My reply from BPG:

"Thank you for contacting IHG’s Best Price Guarantee Helpdesk with regard to your claim decision.

Per the program Terms and Conditions, to be eligible for a Valid Claim a guest must: “Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the ‘Best Available Rate Search.’” It has come to our attention that some previous claims were deemed “valid” contrary to the intent of this statement. All previously awarded claims will remain “valid” and will be honored in full by IHG and our hotels. However, we will continue to uphold this portion of the Terms and Conditions moving forward. "

So what's going on here? Have they changed their policy? According to their website terms it still looks like you have to match the refundable or non-refundable rate. Although their first statement says:

"Book. Complete a valid room booking with the lowest available price (room rate) on any IHG website for any IHG branded hotel using the “Best Available Rate Search.” A “valid room booking” means a complete booking with a valid form of payment."

Is this a new term?

BPG may be dead if this is the new rule, since you'll never be able to book a room with free cancellation.