FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sixteen Days In West Africa
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:57 am
DanielW

Originally Posted by nolan222
Epic trip! Thanks for sharing!!!
Thank you, nolan222. Yes, took quite a bit of planning and organising, but was glad when it all worked out!

Originally Posted by Madone59
Thank you for a glimpse into a part of the world most of us will never have the chance to see, and as always thank you for the wonderful photos!!
Thanks, Madone59. Yes, I had to look up on a map where Sierra Leone was exactly when I Jason and Jordan started making their plans. Such an interesting part of the world though, with all the colonial history and conflict.

Originally Posted by SFO777
What an amazing and fascinating report. Great pics as always.
Thanks so much DanielW.
Many thanks, SFO777. West Africa was not quite like my home country New Zealand, but I think the people were just as friendly.

Originally Posted by gmitchs
Great TR and amazing pictures!! After seeing so much of this region on the news in the past year it is wonderful to see it through your perspective. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, gmitchs. Yes, the worst of the Ebola outbreak seems to be well behind them now. Hopefully the occasional intrepid tourists like us will start to filter through now. The countries have a lot of potential.

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Great report and pictures! You got some good ones I'm missing. Glad you could join us for the African adventure! I forgot about mentioning that was my last overland border crossing..
Thanks again for letting me tag along! A really great adventure with lots of unique and interesting experiences. I bet you'll secretly miss trying to deal with dodgy border crossings and corrupt officials too.

Originally Posted by aa213bb
You three seem like such a joy to travel with - I really envy your trips.

And, as always, fantastic photos. You truly have a great eye, DanielW.
Thank you, aa213bb. Yes, all three of us had complimentary skills, myself with the camera, Jason with his fluent French and Jordan for his organisation and planning.

Originally Posted by Tocsin
First TR of yours I read was Bali and Dili, I think DanielW - been addicted ever since!

Dili was one of the few out of the way places I've been, most of your trips I'm unlikely to get to, so thanks again for taking the time to show us the sights!
Thanks, Tocsin. Yes, some of west Africa actually reminded me of Dili. The past colonial history and fresh memories of conflict. Both had friendly, welcoming people too.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Great pictures as always. How fortunate to have found two like minded travelers on FT. This kind of travel seems so much more enjoyable with others, though each of you had your own spur travel to conquer on your own. I was intrigued by everything, from the abandoned hotel to the old US style home to the chimpanzee sanctuary.
Many thanks, SanDiego1K. Yes, if I had attempted this solo it would have likely been twice as much stress and half as much fun! A very interesting part of the world, with such rich and intriguing history. Not many tourists but I could see more of them coming given a bit more stability and development.

Originally Posted by mike&co
Fantastic report once again ^ however, I don't see Mr & Mrs SFO777 heading in that direction soon
Thanks, mike&co. The Radisson Blu in Freetown was actually a very nice place, a decent beach closeby and only a quick ferry ride from the airport. I'm sure Mrs SFO777 might be tempted.

Originally Posted by LongingForORD
Amazing trip report, I loved your photos of the kids. thanks,
Thank you, LongingForORD. Yes, the kids are normally not so shy in front of the camera than the adults.

Originally Posted by Tychian
Nice write-up and great photos - thanks for sharing! Love seeing these places through your eyes, and iron's.
Many thanks, Tychian. Yes, great to see three different perspectives of this trip, and remind me of what I missed/forgot.

Originally Posted by chelsea2
Great report and photos - your reports are always a pleasure to read! I am really curious how you three all manage to remain so calm when faced with the situations where officials are looking for bribes. I feel nervous just reading about your adventures:-)
Thank you, chelsea2. I think a healthy dose of cynicism, weary experience and travel-exhaustion got us through the dodgy officials. It was abit of a game too, trying to get by without paying, when it would have been easier (and lazier) just to pay them and let them win.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Amazing as always, DanielW. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us! You go to some truly unique places
Thanks, UAL250. Yes, a couple of years ago I would have never considered visiting these kind of places. I blame Jason and Jordan for enlightening me though!

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Actually the trick is to remain calm.. getting upset and escalating never helps these matters! Usually joking with them or at least being patient is enough.
I think if I was fluent in French I may have been tempted to be a bit more vocal though.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
What an awesome place. I hope to venture there soon- for business and pleasure
Yes, an interesting place to vacation. Some of the corruption would make business there very tough though.