FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sixteen Days In West Africa
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 16, 5:54 am
DanielW
Moderator: Trip Reports

And on descent over Lagos.

Soon after we taxied off the runway, people were up and out of their seats and getting their bags despite alot of shouting and protests from the flight attendants. All aircraft have to be towed up to the gate at Murtala Muhammed International Airport so there was a few minutes delay before we were able to disembark.

After hearing frequent stories of hassle and corruption at the airport, I fortunately had no issues at all. I did get my passport checked 3-4 times though as well as my yellow fever vaccination, and a policeman asked me why I was taking photo's but he seemed to be appeased when I showed him it was just of my stamped passport.

I then met up with my driver I had organised, Ajiboye, for the drive to Lagos Island to my hotel. Luckily it was a public holiday in Nigeria so traffic was relatively light and the ~10 kilometre drive took about half an hour.

At my hotel on Lagos Island, Lakeem Suites Ikoyi. $100 a night with decent AC and wifi.

I then went for an mid-afternoon stroll. The Syrian Mosque. The weather was quite warm and humid with the sun trying to peak through the haze and dust.

Stopping for some water and a sausage roll for 150 Naira (~75 cents).

Electronics.

Mother & Son. Lagos Island was originally home to the fishing village of Eko and eventually grew into the modern city of Lagos. Lagos has now spread out to the neighbouring islands as well as the mainland.

Getting a couple of oranges for 30 naira (~15 cents). The wall behind was covered in some very interesting photo's and definitely not your usual urban graffiti and postings. I would later learn that they were part of LagosPhoto, an international arts festival begun in 2010.

Under the bridge. Lagos is the biggest city in Africa with an estimated population of over 21 million.

Some friendly locals who didn't mind posing for a photo. Just on the bridge between Lagos Island and Victoria Island.