FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - question about buying merchandise with FF miles
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:09 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jcwoman
Has anybody here bought merchandise with frequent flier miles? I was feeling extravagant the other day and bought a designer purse with some of my UA miles. The order status has been "processing" ever since then, and they don't show any shipping/arrival estimate. Is that normal? Am I spoiled by Amazon.com to want a shipping estimate?
I bought 8 Waterford crystal wine glasses w/ Diners Club points & a 32" television w/ Hilton points. I 'think' (it's been many years since I did this) that I received email updates but again I could be wrong (it certainly wasn't as big an update as Amazon gives). I also don't remember how long it took to arrive, but I vaguely remember it not being too long.

My TV died the day before the Hilton Christmas catalog arrived, I had a lot of Hilton points & back then they were really difficult to redeem for hotel stays, so I said what the heck. Saved myself several hundred $$ (back then 32" TVs were the norm pre large-screen HDTVs & were pricey).

I think it was similar w/ the Diners. Catalog came, I was building up my Waterford collection at the time & had a lot of Diners points but not as much cash.

I'm also thinking redemption values way back when aren't as bad as they are now.

Cheers.