Old Jan 22, 16, 12:26 am
greycap7

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bnurkhai View Post
Right, but as I said before, my parents and brother flew through Moscow with American passports (no visa) to TSE and didn't run into any problems. Depending on what terminal you fly in/out of you may not even have to deal with Russian immigration/customs (of my three international transfers in SVO, my passport got checked only once). The whole system isn't well set up (what a surprise), if all Rus-Kaz flights departed out of the domestic terminal, then that would make sense, but as far as I know that is not the case (I actually don't think any kaz flights are out of domestic). So a IAD-SVO-ALA passenger goes through the same process as IAD-SVO-BUD passenger, unless there is a passport check for every international transfer (has happend once to me), then immigration officials have no way of finding out. Therein lies the problem with only having a customs union, but not a unified immigration policy.

That being said op, I would err on the side of caution and get the visa or fly through another country.
Thanks for the information. Just to err on the side of caution. What are the current Russian transit visa processing times?

Thanks