FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Low Cost Airline - Allegiant Air
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:48 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've flown them for 1 round-trip (MCI-SFB) on a $44 promotional fare.

My flights were uneventful, reasonably on-time. I had no need to interact much with Allegiant personnel, so I can't really speak to their service.

The mobile app functioned correctly. We had two PNR's, a 1 person PNR and a 3 person PNR. We did not pay for any extras, and the 3 person PNR was assigned contiguous seats in a single row. The 1 person PNR was assigned aisle seats. We checked in reasonably close to T-24 hours, although not exactly like one would for Southwest. It was easy to use a single phone to show all four boarding passes at both TSA and the gate. Once you check-in, the BP images store in the app itself, which is nice.

The aircraft both directions were MD-88s, manufactured in 1988 and 1989. They spent most of their lives serving Aeromexico before entering the Allegiant fleet in 2007.

Seat pitch was in the 31" range - kind of like flying Economy with no status on a legacy. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was *not* a Spirit experience - I'll give Allegiant credit for that.

Overhead bins will be the same size as any other airline. Because they charge for larger carry-ons, there is ample room. We flew with underseat backpacks, but we would have had room to put them overhead if we had wanted to once we were up in the air.

Boarding was actually pretty quick. Silver lining of people being very limited in what they can bring onboard.

In short, I had a pleasant experience because I didn't have to talk to anyone and the flights operated normally. You probably want to find someone who has lived through IROPS...how does Allegiant support passengers once they start delaying/canceling flights? That's where a lot of ULCC's get dicey...although if you don't hold elite status with a major it's probably not much worse than what you'd get from anyone else.

Last edited by pinniped; Jan 21, 2016 at 8:29 am