FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lesson Learned: AA/AB AAdvantage Award Complaints
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:03 pm
STG

Programs: AA Plat, Avis PP, Marriott / SPG Plat, WN ALP
Originally Posted by AAnerd
not to discount what you experienced, but their business class wasn't bad at all.. did not experience what you experienced.. The choices for AA are Finnair, Iberia, BA or AB, not a lot of choices if you cut out AB of the option.. It beats BA fuel surcharge, i hear worse things about IB (never tried them so cant really say) and as much as i liked Finnair a lot, they rarely open awards (granted AB rarely open awards too nowadays).. the point is, if you get AB out of your equation, you're constraining yourself even more when traveling inter/intra Europe.. but thanks for your story, i will make sure i check on their policy before i fly with them again...
Their Business Class product actually looked great. My wife and I are cheapskates though, so we try to only redeem miles on MileSAAver awards . I'd still research their various policies (especially baggage policies) ahead of time. I'm guessing that if you book in Business, they'll let you choose your seat ahead of check-in?

As for European travel, you're absolutely right. My wife and I are looking domestically, to South America, and to Hawaii for future awards. BA's fees are (almost literally) insane, and after our poor AB experience we're ruling them out too.