FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:09 am
ThreeJulietTango

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
5 seconds per bag times 100's of bags per agent does start making a difference. It's always fun standing in line behind a family of 4 getting their 10 checked bags tagged. I'm having to wait almost an additional minute for the TA to affix the priority tags in addition to the normal ones.

I'm pretty sure that the same system identifier that is used to identify your BP to have "Priority Line" printed on it, is used on these baggage tags. If one fails, both do..
A typical agent will accept 75-125 bags in an 8-hour shift. Assuming all bags are priority and a time savings of 5 seconds per bag, the agent has saved a little over 10 minutes.

Priority for boarding passes and bag tags use different identifiers since it's possible to have a priority boarding pass but not a priority bag (an AA Gold flying economy, for example).

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The information coming on a bar code scan far exceeds all visual clues given to the customer. While the P and Priority is a good indicator, it is not the final word in the matter. Actual system record is.
But my point is that it will not print if it's not in the system as priority. The priority status is given to the bag when the tag is generated and the printed tag reflects that.

Originally Posted by steaminer
I was traveling with my girlfriend (I'm EP, she has no status) and when checking in bags, the agent split the bags between the reservations (instead of both under me) and only put a priority tag on my bag.

Come pickup time, her bag comes out 30 mins before mine - following neither tag nor barcode logic.

Not the first time!
I would've put priority tags on all the bags since it would otherwise defeat the purpose if you had to wait for her bags anyway. Though of course it would've been moot without the status in the bar code.