FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does SAA really have a customer service department?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:21 pm
jsnydcsa

YMMV but let me put in a plug for the SAA CS staff in Florida handling US enquiries. Over approx 15 years and scores of flights (plus scores more for family and friends), they have never let me down. Whether dealing with complicated mileage award tickets, semi-complicated seating requests, last minute changes or cancellations (most on SAA's part, a few on mine), refunds or just about anything else, I have never (touch wood) been disappointed by their friendliness, willingness to help and professionalism. Even in a few cases where I was clearly coming to them hat in hand, they worked with me to at least ease the sting of the situation. I'd prefer working with them over just about any front line, non-premium US-airline CS staff any day. I used to know some of them by name and they were always and still remain a pleasure to work with.

They also seem to work well with and obtain fast resolution from their colleagues in SA. While I've had to wait a day or two due to time/holiday differentials between the US and SA, the US staff has never told me that their SA colleagues didn't reply (of course, maybe the SA staff hadn't and the US staff just didn't tell me and resolved it on their on, but I wouldn't know that).

I've only had a half-dozen or so occasions to deal with frontline - non-checkin - staff at JNB and CPT (mostly ticket office staff). Generally they've been less than helpful. They could take a few lessons from the US staff.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself!

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Jan 15, 2016 at 9:39 am