View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:13 pm
Brucemcdou

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
As promised, here is a full stay review for the JW Marriott Aerocity New Delhi:

Have spent three days here as a short mileage run. Picked a hotel by the airport as my original flight combination arrived at 1:30 am and departed at 3:30 am. Later changed flights so did not need the proximity to the airport but also realize that it would have been more convenient to stay in a more central location. But if you're considering staying here, here's my thoughts:

This is a fantastic modern luxury hotel. Contemporary style with stone and woods and plush comfort. Service is ever present and uniformly over the top friendly and helpful. To me, it felt hovering, but I understand that many people enjoy that style of service.

Arrival with mobile checkin was efficient and friendly. Other interaction with the front desk and the concierge over a few days have been helpful and courteous.

Room was Executive King on Club Floor (3rd floor, not top floor like I'm used to). Large room with extensive electronics and push button controls built in. Uncomfortable and really pointless curved sofa. Large and well-laid out desk area Lots of plugs everywhere for charging devices. Favorite feature: the bath has a large rain shower and a soaking tub. The tub has a retractable opaque glass wall so you can have privacy or leave it open to the room.

Did not use the bar or restaurant as I had club access and was out on food tours in the evenings. Club was good sized for the crowd and extensive selection at breakfast and in the evening. Friendly and efficient staff. Breakfast 6-10, Drinks and heavy hors douvres 5:30 til 9 pm (there was no info about the club hours or service in my room, nor any welcome letter with that info).

Great gym with full range of LifeFitness equipment and small free weight area with Dumbbells and a Smith Machine rack. Normal cardio machines facing a wall of windows overlooking the pool.

Do not normally use the spa when I travel but had a tour cancelled on me last minute so decided to get a massage. Great facility and excellent massage. Prices are very reasonable in USD. Separate sauna/steam area (for men at least and I presume ladies) without paying for a treatment.

Now the cons. As mentioned the service can feel hovering, which may be fine for serving breakfast but is annoying while you're trying to workout in the gym for example. The security is also extensive: cars are checked as they enter the hotel sector, then again at the hotel gate, then all bags are xrayed and guests go through a metal detector and are hand wanded. To be fair there had just been a terrorist attack at the Indian border the weekend I visited but it felt over the top. This is the first trip I've made to a third-world country in many years so this may be the new standard at 5-star hotels, just new to me especially when I expected India to be more modern and open.

Also, the hotel is only a five minute walk from the Airport Express Aerocity station, but the walk there doesn't even have a sidewalk all the way so you're mostly walking in the road. The management could make the ease of access an advantage of the hotel location, but instead you have to overcome resistance to walking. Once you figure out how to get there the Airport Express is more pleasant and much faster than driving to get down to New Delhi Station and connect with the Delhi Metro system - 15-20 mins tops, in air conditioning and not crowded, unlike a car trip stuck in traffic.

Overall I'd prefer to stay at a more central location next time but this is an excellent luxury hotel option if you want to be by the airport.

Stayed January 2016, traveled solo

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Jan 7, 16 at 8:18 am