FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boarding door closed and seat given away 25 mins before departure. Any recourse?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:25 am
sapguy

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by morelegroom
FWIW

As I tell my students "yes you have an absolute legal right to walk across campus at 2 am. No one has the right to rape or assault you at anytime for any reason. However, IMHO anyone who walks across campus alone at 2 am should not be surprised to encounter evil people with evil objectives. So standing on your legal rights may be stupid"

Same advice applies to getting to the gate. You may have a full legal right to T-15 but exercising that right may be stupid.
Very well put ^

Seems like we all agreed that the GA offloaded the OP too early, and therefore the OP deserves some sort of compensation.

But the OP was not very smart in not showing up early enough & therefore missed the flight, and the repercussions are many:
1. He misses making Platinum
2. He missed his 'important' meeting
3. He felt 'humiliated' (his words)

As I've said a couple times in this thread, you need to be at the gate early at UX airports, and I agree with LaserSailor that the experienced & smart traveler makes decisions based on what is important to him, e.g. making the flight or spending a few more minutes with the family. That way, there is no need to rely on 'legal rights' which will not get you back everything that you lost.