FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs DL....share your perspectives [ARCHIVE]
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:25 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by plinko83
Happy New Year all,

I'm a Platinum Medallion on Delta, flying United, and I'm unfamiliar with some of United's policies. on a IAD-LAS non-stop flight in a few weeks. It was booked for me by work, for a reasonable rate of $171.

Delta, of course is obsessed with offering buy-ups to first on domestic flights to non-elites. Is this something United does? I looked, and the one-way first class fare for my exact flight right now is a very inexpensive $369. I'd be willing to pay the roughly $200 different out of pocket to upgrade for the 5+ hour flight.
Both United and Delta offer upsells at purchase. The difference is that on United you can go in - and as you were offered - get a "buy up" to F while people are waiting on the upgrade list. You will have the same (and IMHE cheaper) offer to buy up when you check in, and often these offers fall as you get closer to departure time.

So you can wait and see what UA offers you (which may be a lower price) or bite now.