FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:34 am
Richmond_Surrey

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Maybe it's time to write my review from one night weekend stay in November 2015. For reference, I'm Gold in HH.

I booked cheapest room for 80K points, cash price at the time was $469 per night. A bit closer to my visit I was able to change cheapest room to second from bottom for the same points amount. I also opted for nor1 upgrades.

I arrived at the hotel around 22.00. I already had room chosen online, corner on 23rd floor. However I was told this room is unavailable because guest chose to extend his stay and they have room for me on 8th floor. I said it's not good enough and asked for a better room. Receptionist was looking for something but said there's not a lot of rooms left. I heard other receptionist proposing room upgrade to Japanese couple so asked my receptionist what about the room that was offered to the other people. They didn't take it and he said he can get me this one. Then he found a few more rooms and even called Towers to confirm which one will be the best. Maybe he realised, I won't go away until I get something decent :-)

In the end I got twin room in Towers, on 39th floor. Bedroom was facing one side and bathroom was on a corner of the building. It took half an hour for the whole process but I wanted to get the best possible room since I don't know if I will stay in Waldorf NYC again. I also got 2 vouchers for drinks. I wasn't sure if the upgrade was paid or complimentary but I learned later it was free, when I got my bill in the email around 1.00am.

The room:

Wardrobe and corridor leading to bathroom:

Bathroom with shower and bath tub. Shower is on the left, not visible on a picture. There's also big window behind me.

View from bathroom.

All pictures from hotel are in my web album - https://goo.gl/photos/RA3EyDfF6mZ1uVqd6

I used drink voucher in Peacock Alley Bar but was kind of kicked out before I had a chance to order second one, as they were closing around 1.00am. I ordered drink for $24 using $20 voucher and was expecting to pay extra and tip but when I enquired about my bill, I was told everything is already settled and no need to pay for anything. Didn't have a chance to use second voucher, didn't fancy staying in Sir Harry's Bar so late. It was still crowded and noisy.

I had breakfast in the lounge on 27th floor. Nothing fancy and worth mentioning. Breakfast in lounge in London Bridge Hilton is better.

I asked for late checkout and was granted one extra hour until 13.00. I popped into the lounge for tea before leaving and had some light lunch in the form of sandwiches.

Considering complimentary upgrade, good room and not paying for anything extra, it was well spent 80K HH points. However I don't think I would want to stay in cheapest room and pay a fortune for it. I hope they will refurbish it in future and then I can give it another go, if I can still "afford" it :-)

Building is lovely but lobby is always crowded. Bars are full and a lot of people linger by the entrance. Staff were very courteous, helpful and in general 5*.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Oct 12, 2016 at 2:13 am