FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA vs DL....share your perspectives [ARCHIVE]
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:30 am
zrs70
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by plinko83
Happy New Year all,

I'm a Platinum Medallion on Delta, flying United, and I'm unfamiliar with some of United's policies. on a IAD-LAS non-stop flight in a few weeks. It was booked for me by work, for a reasonable rate of $171.

Delta, of course is obsessed with offering buy-ups to first on domestic flights to non-elites. Is this something United does? I looked, and the one-way first class fare for my exact flight right now is a very inexpensive $369. I'd be willing to pay the roughly $200 different out of pocket to upgrade for the 5+ hour flight. (i don't really drink, but i'm a big guy - i fit fine in coach seats, but prefer the extra room up front very much and i'm happy to value it at $40/hr).

Is this an offer that United would offer me you think? I called the main 800# this morning and got an agent who didn't speak great English (not trying to start something, just being honest) who didn't seem to understand what I was asking. Kept telling me if I wanted to fly today, it would be $1359. That's of course not what I was asking.

I was wondering if any of you here on the UA boards would have any insight into the changes of me being able to grab that first class fare for around $200 more if I'm wasting my time.

Thanks,
Plinko
Take a look at your Ua reservation online and see if an upgrade for cash is offered. If so, how much are they asking?