FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:38 am
edy4eva

Originally Posted by alinghi90
I plan to book sth like FRA-AUH-SYD-ADL / ADL-HKG-FRA.
I guess this would result in 3 awards:
1. Europe - ME
2. ME - Australia
3. Australia - Europe

Three questions:
1. What can I expect in terms of fees and taxes. Will it be much higher than a singe Europe-Australia return ticket?
2. Inbound Europe-ME-Australia will be on EY. As I need two seperate awards will it also consists of two seperate ticket numbers? In this case it probably makes sense to plan a stop-over in AUH.
3. I read that there could be difficulties to add SYD-ADL after the EY flight. Is this a real problem?
Inbound means the return leg BTW.

1. In business, for the outbound including a QF dom leg (assuming it's permitted) 75k miles and about 320USD, the inbound 60k miles about 103USD.
2. Yes it's worthwhile to break the journey in AUH, as it's charged as 2 awards.
3. If you're asking about including it as a single award it might not work for every point in AU (depends on routing permitted on EY fares ex-FRA), the AA agent will quote you the correct amount 99% of the time so not sure where you've read about these difficulties?

BTW a simple paid CX fare from FRA is just 4100EUR, so about 1100EUR above the current cost of buying 135k miles and paying the taxes on this redemption. The paid fare allows for stopovers in HKG and earns miles/status, might be worth to consider.

And an EK or QF J fare is only 3300EUR. So not really a bargain to use AA miles on this trip (unless dates/times/route suit).

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 1, 2016 at 7:44 am