FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2016 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:08 pm
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Were three MileSAAver seats available for your desired dates of travel? If not, this is all moot.

Don't overthink this. You're not traveling until next Fall. Have your wife sign up for AAdvantage immediately. She'll then be eligible to purchase miles starting at the end of January. She'll just have to wait for the next good miles sale from AA; fortunately, they seem to come along with some frequency.
I would be pleasantly surprised if there were 3 Saver F awards together.

I do think this promo is better than others in the recent past--not only the cost per mile but also the ability to pick up 115K additional miles above the annual cap. Also, there is a bit of urgency since the cost of an Asia 2 award is going up significantly in a few months.

For me, though, given the cheap business fares to Asia on AY from YYZ (which for me is easy to position to), I don't think I would use my miles to go to BKK/SIN/PEK/PVG.
I'm assuming that, at best, there will be three J award seats (or maybe two in J and one in F). If there are three award seats in J coming and going, only 330,000 AA miles total (before any rebate if one is a Citi/AAdvantage credit-card holder) are needed. If 265,000 miles are purchased on January 1, that would cover three outbound J seats, and (assuming a 10,000-mile credit-card rebate after purchasing the three outbound awards), two of the three required inbound awards. Then the spouse would only need to purchase 55,000 miles at the end of January, and redeem them for one of the inbound J awards.

The key question is whether there are the requisite number of J/F award seats available on the same flights.