FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you be bothered if your Gold friend got a better room than you as a Platinum?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:09 pm
coltonatx

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Quote:

Originally Posted by coltonatx

I know this is rather silly, but I have an upcoming stay at Le Meridien in BCN for NYE. I submitted SNA requests & even contacted the reservations manager directly, but I was told that being high season, they couldn't confirm a suite upgrade.

My best friend arrived BCN 36 hours before me to BCN, and upon check-in, he was upgraded to a Mediterranean suite when he's just a Gold member (which is technically not entitled to such upgrades). I am stuck in a standard room. Would this bother you?

This darn near a daily discussion on this forum. I expect a myriad of comments.

Yes, I would be pissed, but there is more to the situation than what you describe. You friend arrived 3 days before you, so there will be different inventory. When is he checking out? My experience is that many properties are very light the 3 days before NYE.

It is possible the property, in question, went above and beyond the Gold Published benefits because a suite was available the entire length of his stay. Did he pay for an upgrade? Did he use points for an instant upgrade at check in?

Can the same be said for your stay, on the date you checked in? Since we don't have access to inventory, I'm going to guess, no.

As always, this is a deeper situation than just, "someone received a suite with lower elite credentials that me".
He arrived two nights before me.

The manager told me there was no inventory to upgrade.

He didn't pay for the upgrade.

We are checking out the same day.