FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anchorage - 4 Days in March, Itinerary Suggestions
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:29 pm
ccohen322

Anchorage - 4 Days in March, Itinerary Suggestions

Hi All,

Me and a buddy are flying up to Anchorage for four days, March 9-13 for the first time (those are the dates that work). We just want a taste of Alaska winter scenery, and (perhaps) a chance to see the northern lights. We have four full days and a rental car to play with.

Tentatively, I'd like to do Seward/Whittier on one day (Thurs) return to ANC for the night, and then drive up to Fairbanks Friday morning, stopping in Talkeetna along the way, and maybe an hour of snowshoeing in the part of Denali that's open.

Spend Saturday morning in Fairbanks (maybe hit the ice festival?), and then drive back to Anchorage. Spend Sunday exploring Anchorage or possibly doing some dogsledding or snowmobiling in Girdwood.

A) I know this a ton of driving, in potentially difficult conditions. I have some winter driving experience but would prefer not to hurt myself or wreck the car (Fwiw I will have full insurance coverage). Should I re-evaluate?

B) If you were going to modify this, what would you suggest? We're two guys in our twenties, trying to stick to a budget. Hotels and the rental are a given, but we'd prefer not shell out too much. Finally, we're also ready to go balls to the wall - wake up at 6 am daily to maximize our time (apparently there's already 12 hours daylight at this point).

Thanks for your help!