FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:11 am
wideman

Agree 100% with AtomicLush. It's a million dollar view paired with a really inconvenient location and an aging facility.

I'm also just back from a stay in Hong Kong, split between the IC and the Indigo in Wan Chai. With the construction going on, the IC has become really isolated. Before, you could at least duck into the New World shopping center next door and then out to the Promenade. Now, there's absolutely nowhere to go by foot except down the driveway and then a hike across 6 lanes of Salisbury Road, or some other equally unwelcoming route. One of the great features of HK is being in the middle of urban frenzy, all of the time, and the IC doesn't do this any longer, not to my mind. (But no worries -- a sign says that the construction will be finished by June, 2018.)

Plus, the hotel could use a refurb. The rooms are showing their age. The marble in the bathrooms still glistens, but the fixtures are aging, the beds are far too high, and the whole place justr looks a little tired, a little bit sagging. Not completely unlike many of the patrons who come for afternoon tea.

I'm good at spending other people's money, so I'd have shut down the place while the construction is going on and do a complete rehab.

Meanwhile, if I want to stay at an IHG property in HKG, I'll head over to the Indigo.