FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How bad is AA trans Atlantic economy?
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:05 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
My apologies. I'm not non-elite (and haven't been for over a decade) nor have I redeem for TATL Y on AA MCE-equipped metal so my apologies. That does seem odd though, and thanks for the correction. It's likely not high on AA's list though but you'd think any ancillary revenue would be good. That said it could be interesting if OP tried calling and offered to purchase MCE or went to an airport agent. I imagine agent would be inclined to give a comp assignment day of, but you never know.
Just as a note, you would get MCE on a TATL Y award; they can handle "free", just not "charge this dude money on top of the free ticket".

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd say no less than 3 years ago I was told "want to fix it, for sure, but hasn't made it to top of list" Charging for MCE automatically triggers a couple of fees or taxes or whatever (ticket is no longer "free") and they system can't handle that for some reason.

It's kinda stupid-- and leaves money on the table for sure-- but that's how it be.
I sure hope AS doesn't have this problem when they implement their version of MCE... they also use SABRE from the age of stone knives and bearskins.