FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond status questions
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:30 am
ainternational

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Happy to share my thoughts on the topic.

First, I'll say, I think NH Diamond was worth more in years past. Service levels have been declining, food going downhill and Diamond benefits are not quite as good either.

That said, I am still going to earn Diamond again this year and until there's a better option, I don't plan on changing.

Regarding the best benefit? I fly 99.9% internationally, so for me it's the suite lounges at NRT and HND - you get access no matter what class of service you are flying and on any *A carrier (I believe). The lounges and showers are excellent. Food isn't amazing, but it's pretty decent. The airport food air side is pretty bad in my opinion at those airports, so the lounge isn't s bad option before your flight.

I also like the gift certificates for duty free shopping (value has gone down in recent years, and I often find I can't find anything I even want to by) - but it's a nice gesture. Certainly UA and other American carriers don't do this kind of thing to the best of my knowledge.

I'm no expert, but from what I would imagine, the only way to get PP would be to fly ANA or *A partners. Some airlines like United had ways to get some EQM from credit cards, but those promotions and cards are largely gone. They want you flying. Perhaps someone within Japan who knows more about the various cards and earning options could correct me, but otherwise, I think you'll be stuck flying or doing mileage runs to keep status.

One thing I will say, as both a Platinum and then a Diamond, I have a 100% upgrade record for the last 5 years. Even when I thought it wouldn't go through, they always did, sometimes at the last minute. This means that instrument (miles or upgrade points) supported upgrades from C to F or Y to C always went through, without exception. My upgrade record on UA as a 1K was nowhere near 100%. Not even close. So for this, I also appreciate NH. They protect their premium cabins for just these type of elite upgrades. Very nice.

Feel free to ask any other questions.