FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:51 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
28. Well, that's an excellent guess! However, it was not Air Wisconsin and the air carrier in question never operated the BAC One-Eleven.
Well, notwithstanding recent successes, I'm not going to guess Mexicana

1977 was when deregulation was coming, so there were all sorts of proposals. It was also when it was becoming apparent that the VFW-614 twinjet was turning out to be an absolute commercial fiasco, with not a single aircraft ever sold but the first 20 all manufactured. So possibly SOMEONE devised a network based on Midway with these aircraft leased at $1/month.

Originally Posted by jlemon
And I'm pleased to report that I managed to finally put up our outdoor Christmas lights earlier this afternoon and also purchased a small Christmas tree today which is actually a living specimen: it's a beautiful little Norfolk pine which I shall plant in our backyard following the holidays.
Are live trees unusual in the US ? Ours is coming tomorrow, from http://www.polhill.co.uk/ which is out in the Kent countryside, and they grow them nearby on a north-facing hillside with otherwise poor soil. The WHBMmobile, being a sedan, albeit a reasonable size, is a bit of a squash to get a whole tree into, but there are some years of experience of so doing, and we also need it fairly small, to stand on top of the large chest of drawers to keep it free from the inquisitive fingers of Little Miss WHBM ! I think I've written in past years of the annual pilgrimage into the attic to recover the decorations, and the fortunate juxtaposition of the boxes of stored old aviation books, timetables, etc, which can cause it to be a lengthy expedition.

Outdoor lights are not unknown at private houses in Britain, but most just have them inside. Today's weather of low cloud and drizzle was pretty marginal for London City arrivals and is the sort of thing that would lead to water penetration, short circuits, and other problems with them.

You probably think this tree purchase has nothing to do with old airliners. However, the Garden Centre's location in the countryside was once the location for a serious major airport project, which construction actually started on. Anyone like to say which one ?

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 13, 2015 at 11:19 am