FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free snacks are back for United Economy
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:18 pm
fly18725

Originally Posted by spin88
I 100% believe, and Oscar said that he intended to, that he set a different direction. He clearly looked at the figures/metrics we have discussed repeatedly and the internal UA metrics (which were awful) and said "holly bat man, we are losing our best customers"

Either he believes, or he was quickly convinced that United bottom of the heap product and service was killing sales. Once he set a new direction, people either implement it, or get they get canned when he is back in charge.
I think the awfulness of metrics is grossly overstated (or flat out created).

However, there's a valid school of thought that small improvements should be rolled out early, when big issues are open or progressing poorly. There's another school of thought that says focus on the fundamentals first and then roll out a bunch of changes, both big and small, after many of the fundamentals are more sound. I know which school United claims to be a part of, but I understand that conspiracies and speculation are also fun. Regardless, US-based passengers have received a number of product improvements in the past few weeks from multiple carriers, which reflects a positive industry trend, in no part helped by low oil prices and strong revenue performance.