View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 15, 10:37 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I would say that the PH Istanbul ranks as one of my favorite, if not most favorite PH. Great rooms, excellent service, we loved the area that it was in. The PH Milan stay was less satisfying. The rooms are nice but not great. We did probably get the worse room in the building (Accessible by the elevator) We had trouble with our coffee machine and our safe during our stay, which the management did handle ok but was just annoying. They literally could not find us another coffee machine in the entire hotel but did comp all our coffee through room service. The location is excellent for seeing all that Milan has to offer. I do not recall of the AC goes to BHrubin levels. I had some trouble with the concierge who apparently only could get me tickets to the last supper if I bought a city tour package from them. I was able to find tickets through an online reseller at a minor markup pretty easily. All and all a hotel that's worth using points at but I wouldn't spend $$$ for. (For reference I did spend $$$ at the PH Istanbul).
Glad to know you think as highly of the PH Istanbul as we do. That also suggests I may not love the PH Milan as much as everyone else, despite its more central location. Your service issues are most concerning, since we had such fab service at the PH Istanbul.

My experience has almost always been that SPG luxe hotels (StR, especially, but also Lux Collection and some Ws) are usually more generous with suite upgrades and double upgrades for SPG Plats more than PH hotels are for Hyatt Diamonds. I find that as an SPG Plat 100, my suite upgrades and overall service has been even more extraordinary and consistent with SPG luxe properties...something which Hyatt can't quite delineate or match with its simple Diamond designation. (I don't think this necessarily extends to Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, and most W properties, FWIW.)

I was leaning towards the Excelsior Gallia already. Your comments make me further believe that is the right direction for me...at least, until I get better reviews of the air con between the 2 hotels!

Sorry I don't have any insight on the Excelsior.
If this holds, I'll be able to share mine with you and everyone else. I think most know I'm pretty discerning!

In the end, I'm sure both the PH and Gallia are excellent choices. I just think with the lower award redemption and prospect of Starpoints losing value that using my Starpoints for the Gallia, along with the last possible chance benefitting from Plat suite upgrades and Plat 100 service because of the Marriott merger, the Gallia is the best option for me in Oct 2016.