FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt or Excelsior Gallia Milan?
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:19 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Excelsior Gallia has caught my eye, and I would like to give it a try at some point. Steam baths with chromo-lighting in the suites are a very nice touch.

As SPG Plat 100, with lots of points to burn, I imagine it would be the best value proposition. If you would have a good chance of getting a mid level suite, or even one of the larger suites, that's a lot better than the junior suite you would get with a DSU at PH Milan.

Sure it does not have the location of the PH, but it is a newly reopened hotel and looks pretty sharp. Also, as you have said, the location is convenient if arriving by train.
As of now, I'm leaning toward the Gallia over the PH--partly because my Plat 100 status is likely to get me upgraded to a big suite without using SNAs and partly because the award rates are better (20K per night at Gallia vs 30K per night at the PH). I can get upgraded for free at the Gallia but can't use the DSU at the PH unless I do cash and points.

If you stay, it would be great to hear your review of the hotel
You can be sure I'll review whichever I choose, along with the Gritti in Venice and Park Tower Knightsbridge in London. It might be quite the Luxury Collection tour for me.

I will say that our stay at the PH Istanbul weights heavily on me...because it was so fantastic IMO.