FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Hong Kong Thanksgiving with the AC 77W/Slaveship in Y
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:24 pm
steveman518

So, the day had come for the (in)famous ride. While perusing the AC forum, it seems that most of the 77W HD questions/experiences are either in J, W, or domestic Y, with relatively few long-haul non-preferred/non-bulkhead Y. So, after a quick bowl of rice krispies (breakfast #1), it was off to YVR using the hotel shuttle, and I had a nice chat with the Philippino driver about Cebu (I'd never been, but maybe some day).

YVR on a sunny morning

After a quick pass through security, it was off to the Plaza Premium Lounge to prepare for the flight. As GlobeTrekker35 pointed out in a TR, this lounge is adequate with decent food options, but it's not worth the pay-in fee.

The plane spotting isn't too good, as only a few gates with AC wide-bodies can be seen.

When I arrived around 8:30am, the lounge was very empty, and though it got more crowded as the morning went on, the lounge never felt too busy.

There was a station set up in the middle of the lounge where you could grab sandwiches, desserts, and coffee, along with a small spread.

At the end of the lounge there was a dining area with a more extensive food selection, and I grabbed a second breakfast of congee and yoghurt. The congee was at least passable, and there were pickled veggies as sides that you can add.

After a while I was feeling a bit peckish, so I opted for a third breakfast of a panini accompanied by fruit and a cappuccino. Perhaps the panini makes it a brunch?

I was about to leave the lounge for the gate until they did the switchover to lunch, so I grabbed a first lunch consisting of fishball noodle soup and siu mai from the dining area to go along with some tea. The siu mai wasn't very good, but the fish balls were decent.