FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:00 pm
EsquireFlyer
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Booked IAH-PSP one way for Christmas later this month. I normally fly F, but there was only 1 seat left in F on the flight.... Y was $212 and F was $1202. I decided to roll the dice and planned on applying an RPU as seats will usually open up at some point.

Immediately after booking, I was offered an upgrade for $309. Obviously I took it so my seat in F would be confirmed.

The strange thing is, it booked into an F fare. So, my F fare cost $521 vs. the F fare that was offered initially when booking.

We all get these upgrade offers after booking a regular basis... usually when it is that much of a discount, it would book into P or A, but F would usually be fairly accurate on the difference between the coach fare and the first fare shown when booking.
When I had this experience, it was still treated as an "upgrade" and not an upfare. It was on a p.s. flight and I bought the upgrade, which booked into P class (not R or PN). But the ticket receipt showed that an upgrade fee, not a fare difference, was collected, and the $500 or so upgrade fee did not count for PQD because it was not a re-fare.