FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:10 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
28. Well it is not the airline you are thinking about, but for the fact that you want an existing airline: Midway Airlines (ML) which didn't start flying until deregulation 1978 (it received its certificate prior to deregulation but didn't the actually start flying until deregulation was in effect). I seem to recall that it was formed right around Jimmy Carter's election (1976), perhaps in anticipation of deregulation. Once it started flying, it flew DC-9s.

Might it have been a proposal by UA to fly 737s in order to try to scare away the proposed ML?

31. It think the technical answer is four airlines:

Delta, Southern, Republic (airline formed when Southern merged with North Central), and Texas International.

Aircraft I'm less sure about. I'd guess DL with 727-200, SO/RC with DC-9-14/15, and Texas International with DC-9-10.
28. Ah, Seat 2A subsequently guessed United as well. However, it was not UA.

31. Delta, Republic and Texas International are all correct! DL was operating two flights a day with 72S equipment, RC was also operating two flights a day, one with a DC9 and the other with a D9S, and TI was operating one daily flight with a D9S. Block time on the MSY to BTR route ranged from 23 to 25 minutes.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 1, 2015 at 5:24 pm Reason: additional info