FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:38 pm
Indelaware

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
28. In 1977, this airline was proposing to initiate a new hub operation at Chicago Midway (MDW) with twin jet aircraft flying nonstop service to Buffalo, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, OH, Dayton, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Louisville, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Omaha, Pittsburgh and St. Louis. And this was no start up operation: the air carrier in question had been operating scheduled flights for many years and was already serving Chicago O'Hare (ORD) at the time. However, their proposed new Midway hub never got off the ground. Identify the airline and the equipment they proposed to operate from MDW.
Well it is not the airline you are thinking about, but for the fact that you want an existing airline: Midway Airlines (ML) which didn't start flying until deregulation 1978 (it received its certificate prior to deregulation but didn't the actually start flying until deregulation was in effect). I seem to recall that it was formed right around Jimmy Carter's election (1976), perhaps in anticipation of deregulation. Once it started flying, it flew DC-9s.

Might it have been a proposal by UA to fly 737s in order to try to scare away the proposed ML?

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
31. In 1979, three airlines were operating jet service on the short hop from New Orleans (MSY) to Baton Rouge (BTR). Name all three air carriers and also identify the respective equipment they flew on the route.
It think the technical answer is four airlines:

Delta, Southern, Republic (airline formed when Southern merged with North Central), and Texas International.

Aircraft I'm less sure about. I'd guess DL with 727-200, SO/RC with DC-9-14/15, and Texas International with DC-9-10.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 1, 2015 at 12:56 pm