FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's your choice for a long weekend in Chicago?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hi all,

We stayed 2 years ago at the WA over Memorial Day weekend. The property is lovely, and our suite was spacious and well priced, but the air con was terrible. I won't return due to its poor air con.

I am curious about the Gwen (formerly Conrad) vs PH vs Pen. The Pen is where we'd normally stay, but I hear it's sterile and I know it's overpriced based on rates at other properties. Cost/benefit matters to me.

Any comparisons with/to the Gwen (SPG Luxury Collection) and Park Hyatt that we should consider? I'm SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond, so suite upgrades at either are a consideration. I've heard the PH might not allow Direct Suite Upgrades.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!
We stayed at the PH using a DSU in April. For the price, it's great property, especially if you use a DSU. I wouldn't call it true luxury, but in a city where the FS tends to have bath/shower combos I would definitely say it's very competitive.. I do prefer the hardware at the W-A.... The issue with the DSU is that it books into a Grand Executive Suite category, of which there are only 2 (I think) at the property... that all being said I was there for 4 nights over the easter break and was able to use a DSU for both rooms....

As far as the aircon, I can't say I cranked it down to Bhrubin levels... I will perhaps try that in my future travels....

FDW