FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Concorde Room in IAD - Access for CCR card holders
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:02 pm
larryflyer

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Disappointed

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I did like the Concorde dining room very much - the lady on the desk specifically mentioned F and / or CCR card holders as being eligible so that message is clear. The lady serving in the Concorde dining room was so lovely and tried to get me to eat everything on the menu!
Sadly my experience/impressions were different (and coincidently I was in there last night also, at about 7.30 pm - were you there at the same time?!).

Lady on the main lounge desk was perfectly pleasant, but from there, it went downhill. The waitress who appeared about 5 minutes after I sat down offered me water (just water - no general expression such as "Can I get you something to drink, sir?"). So, I asked for an orange juice (and some water as well) which order was taken (I felt) slightly grudgingly. These were then brought to my table at least 5 (possibly 10) minutes later - although to be fair, the orange juice did taste like it was freshly-squeezed out of an orange (rather than freshly-squeezed out of a bottle), so the delay was perhaps not unreasonable.

I ordered the beetroot starter, then salad, no soup, and the cannelloni main course. All were quite palatable and nicely presented. At no point was I offered any bread (I heard guests on another table having to ask for bread to go with their soup) , although the table was laid with a bread plate and butter knife. After my salad arrived, I asked for some bread. This appeared (again, 5 minutes later) in the shape of one, rather dry bread roll, in a small serving dish. No choice of bread, and (I noticed after the waitress had vanished again) no butter anywhere in sight. I decided not to bother, and ate the dry bread roll (since I was actually quite hungry).

I had not been offered any wine, so when my salad arrived I spoke up. I was then asked if I wanted "red or white" (not offered a wine list, or given any recommendations based on my food selection). Slightly bemused, I said "white" and was then asked if the bottle already open (a Sancerre) would be acceptable. By this time, I just wanted to get on with my meal, so I said yes.

I did not order a desert (there was only one listed, which did not appeal) but I asked for some cheese - anticipating I would be brought a selection of cheese and crackers. I should have expected less by now! What arrived was a small china platter with (nicely-presented):
exactly two small, thin slices of identical cheese (cheddar, I think, but I confess I am not a connoisseur);
3 very ordinary small round crackers;
4 tiny slices of apple, in some kind of sticky sauce.

I think I saw 3 waitresses in all, but the one who served me most often (and failed to offer me any bread, or any wine) was distinctly surly. This came to a head when she came to clear the plate after I finished my main course. Because I was sat in a booth with my back to the wall, it was slightly awkward for her to reach across the table to take my plate. I did what I thought was natural and polite, and began lifting my plate to pass it to her. Wrong move - I got a snapped retort, something like "leave that". I did not immediately comprehend, and got another snap along the lines of "it's very heavy". I can't believe there was any genuine elf and safety issue - but the way she spoke to me made me feel like a chastened schoolboy.

On top of all that, I found the whole ambiance of the Concord Room in IAD not to my liking - it was generally quite dark, with harsh 'accent' lighting. If I have the opportunity of dining there again (unlikely, since I don't usually fly in FIRST), I may well decide to forgo the experience, and spend more time eating the snacks in the main lounge instead.