FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:17 am
plinth857

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123
Sad thing is Smisek didn't understand that. Once he cut southern florida, the ULCC competition came in and stole the business. I flew CLE-RSW today and there were at least 30 empty seats. United had a lock on that route and got premium $$ for it. Now UA brought back the seasonal service and has to settle for $100 o/w instead of the $200+ they were getting previously on full flights.

It doesn't take a genius to drive around SW florida in the winter months and see Ohio license plates everywhere. Or simply ask any RE agent...
I was down in Miami recently, and there were plenty of Ohio plates down there. Plus, the Cleveland Orchestra was down there at the time, and the Browns and (who else) Johnny Manziel were topics of conversation.

It's hard to pity UA for having to settle for the lower fares. JetBlue offers an excellent product on its CLE --> FLL route.

I find it interesting though that there are still occasions where traffic is still routed through Hopkins. One of my friends in Milwaukee traveled to FLL from MKE and he was routed through Cleveland on UA for the same price as being routed through ORD (an airport he was happy to avoid).